Making a sleeping bag/convertible parka
Posted: 07 January 2008 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-07-30

I looked at the Exped Wallcreeper and really liked its ability to be worn as a big parka around camp. I want to make something similar but with a 10 or 0 degree rating using 800 fill down.  I was trying to figure out what my baffle width would be, but only found a chart for quilt baffle dimensions on the 17oz down quilt instructions. It said 3.25” for a 10 degree quilt.  Since the bag I’m making will have down underneath me as well as on top, do I need to cut the 3.25 dimension in half for the baffle width? I am an experienced seamstress, but this is my first sleeping bag.

Thanks-

Sirena

Posted: 07 January 2008 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

I agree: the wallcreeper is an interesting design. 

3.25” is about right for 10 degrees.  The number is the width of a single baffle which represents the single layer loft.  Typical full double layer down loft of an 800+ down insulated item designed for 10 to 0 degrees is 6 or 7 inches of loft, so that 3.25 number places it halfway between.

Any thoughts on the footbox?  It has been a while since I looked at the wallcreeper- not sure how they rig that part of the bag to allow for walking.  That cold of a bag might run into problems with drafts using a simple stuff-sack like drawstring footbox.

Posted: 07 January 2008 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-11-19

I have the very similar Feathered Friends Winter Wren. Zippers for the arm holes, and a toggled drawcord at the bottom. The drawcord tensions mine fully closed with no draft problem. Of course the drawcord also tensions around the body when walking around in it.

Posted: 07 January 2008 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-07-30

Thanks for your help, and for running such a great site!

I will post pictures of my bag/parka (barka?) once I’m done.  Another modification that I’m doing is instead of having an integrated hood, I will be making a detachable down hood that can be worn as a hat. Should be interesting to see how it all comes out.

Thanks-

Sirena

Posted: 08 January 2008 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-06-11

Keep in mind that you’ll have more average loft than the height of the baffles, because the down will cause the fabric to bulge outward (assuming you use enough down.) I measured the baffles on my WM Summerlite, which has about 4” of total loft (top and bottom) and they’re 1.25”, except in the footbox. I’d suggest experimenting with some scrap material to get an idea what to expect.

Posted: 08 January 2008 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2007-05-14

Keep in mind that you’ll have more average loft than the height of the baffles, because the down will cause the fabric to bulge outward

Also keep in mind that this bulge has the effect of making the bag shorter that the length of the fabric that makes up the liner and shell.