still carry my pepsi can stove, and the Nimberwill makes a great
windscreen/pot stand.
Light’ning

Posted: 06 June 2007 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Nice!  This new board allows you to upload pics if you have any.

I agree- a titanium Nimblewill stove also makes an excellent pot support/windscreen for an alcohol burner.  Better than the venerable Trangia Westwind, IMO.

It also works nicely with esbit.  You can punch a couple of holes sized for your stakes up at the top and rest a small square of titanium on the stakes as an esbit platform.  Locating the platform so that the burning tablet is 1 to 2 inches from the bottom of the pot gives maximum efficiency.

AYCE

Posted: 06 June 2007 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-05-11

If I were to do another thru-hike, this would be my stove of choice. I can’t stand hunting up alcohol fuel or cannisters in town. I’ve gotten the tripod cooking thing down to a science, but having a Nimblewill Stove on hand, plus about 4-6 oz of alcohol or esbit tabs, would be the way to go for me.

I actually cooked a damn good rice/lentil dish, topped with dried salsa over a fire last night at home. Cooking real rice and real beans doesn’t take that much longer, the results are far better, and is super easy if you use a pot cozy. I don’t think I’ll go back to Lipton meals except for the occasional quick-meal-on-a-rainy-day sort of thing.

Posted: 10 August 2007 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2007-06-21

How much titanium stock did you need?  (save me the time adding up numbers!)  I find tin can models of wood burners difficult to light without fire starters.  Also, there needs to be easy access for adding fuel wihile the pot is in place.  Disadvantages:  They take more, time, effort and patience, ie. gathering fuel, (spliting fuel for effeciency) lighting in the rain, doing it all while you are tired and hungry.  They need to be tended as they cook, because the fuel burns fast.  Advantages:  They burn hot and fast. Fuel is plentiful, since only a few small sized sticks are needed.

Posted: 11 August 2007 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-07

Hi rambler-

It’s usually made with four 4.5 x 5.5” pieces, available as a set for $25 under the Kits and Materials tab > Hardware subtab.

Sometimes people add a fifth piece across the front from the top to half height which increases stability and heat reflectivity at a cost of a little weight and ease of loading.  I don’t use the fifth piece.

The blow tube, as described in the Nimblewill article, works well and is worth the small increase in weight.  Or, if you carry a hydration system, you could probably dual-use the tube to save a little weight.

There is no consensus at this point as to if the side air slots are of benefit or not.  Mine uses the slots, other folks report good results without slots as well.  I think if I were to make another one I would leave out the slot on the back side so that end can be faced into the wind to reduce sparking.

Nice little stove.

AYCE

Posted: 16 August 2007 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-21

When I print out the pattern for the stove, it comes out to be about 8"x9”. How do I scale it down to its proper scale?  Not vital,since it is not a difficult pattern, but it would just make things easier.

Posted: 17 August 2007 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-07

You can specify image sizes in image processing software such as fireworks, photoshop, or iphoto.  Or you could scale it with a photocopy machine.

AYCE

Posted: 18 August 2007 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-21

Your tip about iPhoto is what worked for me on a Mac. For a “right click” on the Mac, press “control” and click over the picture at this website.  One of the options is “add image to iPhoto”.  That loads the image of the stove part into IPhoto. Select Print and the under Print Size select “custom”.  You will have to convert the fractions to decimals (google “decimal conversion” to get a chart)
3/8 = .375 or .38, and 5/8 = .625 or .63 The dimensions are width and heigth, so check to see how they will print out.  Phew. That’s it. The pictures print out to the correct size.  Note that on the bottom the tabs on the sides and the one on the back are included in the length and width measurements of 5 3/8s and 4 5/8s.  Thanks, Ayce.

Posted: 21 November 2007 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-07-31

Any discussion on using the Nimblewood when there are fire bans in place?

Posted: 23 April 2008 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-01-28

Is titanium stock still available? Any more reviews/experiences? Is anyone making lids out of it, or is foil more practical?

Posted: 23 April 2008 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-07

Titanium no longer in stock- try eBay for 0.016 6Al4V.  Metal prices are insane right now, esp with the exchange rate on the USD.

Like the screen name- I think there’s some Krusty brand cough syrup around here somewhere…