Kennebec layout and insulation
Posted: 16 March 2008 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2007-05-25

I re-read the first page of directions and grabbed the fabric and insulation, about to lay things out.  Before I actually cut anything, though, I have two questions.

First, the insulation has a fluffy layer and a layer like interface.  I looked about, and didn’t come up with a clear answer in the message board, so I’ll ask.  Does the fluffy layer go closest to the outside of the garment?  I assume the less soft layer stays attached… correct?

Second, is there a preferred layout? 

Thanks for any advice.

Pringles

Posted: 18 March 2008 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Hi Pringles-

The interfacing layer is a nonwoven carrier scrim, commonly just called “scrim”.  It’s used to keep the insulation feeding through quilting equipment without stretching, to keep layers of insulation from getting tangled on the roll, and other things.  You can just discard it and save the .4 osy.

There isn’t a preferred layout for the Kennebec.  The pieces are large, though, so you will most likely have extra material after cutting the pieces to play around with (hat?  hood?  so many possibilities)

AYCE

Posted: 18 March 2008 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-05-14

I made a kick as freezer bag cozy to use for warming food. For sewing I used a serger and flat lock stitch. I posted some pics on the site wile back. I’ve used a few different insulations and they all work fine.

JFF

Posted: 20 March 2008 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2007-05-25

Thanks again, for the information.  I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

Posted: 31 August 2011 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2011-03-05
AYCE - 18 March 2008 04:07 PM

The interfacing layer is a nonwoven carrier scrim, commonly just called “scrim”.  It’s used to keep the insulation feeding through quilting equipment without stretching, to keep layers of insulation from getting tangled on the roll, and other things.  You can just discard it and save the .4 osy.

Hmm, I was under the assumption that the scrim was fairly necessary for ease of sewing. For this iteration, I am more interested in ease of construction (vs saving weight).

Does the scrim really significantly help in keeping the insulation from stretching and catching?

If so, I’ll keep it; otherwise, it seems like the fewer “layers”, the better! ;)

Posted: 31 August 2011 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Yes, it really helps.  If the extra 0.4 osy isn’t an issue, keep the scrim.

Posted: 31 August 2011 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2011-03-05

Is it possible to buy bulk scrim, in case you need more than came with the insulation?