Grommet Setter?
Posted: 22 March 2008 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-07-10

Can anyone recommend a good grommet setter, either the hammering or plier type? The cheap punch-and-anvil one I bought at the local fabric shop has mangled half my 3/8” grommets. The hardware store only has big ones.

—Byron

Posted: 23 March 2008 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-11-19

I got my hole cutter, die set, and lots of spur grommets from SailRite. Good quality stuff, if a bit pricy.
http://www.sailrite.com/Categories/Grommet-Tools

Posted: 24 March 2008 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-05-11

The die sets for flat vs. spur grommets are definitely different. From memory, the recess in the base of the flat grommet set is shallower, and the part you pound has a shallow recess with a ridge that sticks up all around in the middle. This would definitely ruin a spur grommet. The cheap die sets are usually the flat variety. Be sure to get the punch with the die set. Another source may be Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics
http://www.owfinc.com/Hardware/mhardware.asp#Grommets
I don’t see the grommets, so I would ask to be sure that the die and punch are for spur grommets. I have bought products from both companies. Another source may be a sail loft, canvas shop, or furniture fabric shop.

Sailrite -  I bought my Sailwright Sailmaker Portable (83#) sewing machine from Jim Grant almost 30 years ago, when he was getting started in Marina del Rey, CA. He used to have sewing / sailmaking classes. My machine has worked flawlessly for all these years. When I ordered my #0 die / punch set a year ago, they said that they still had parts for my machine; bobbins / cases, belts, and the three different feed dog / needle plate sets that originally came with my machine. I have no affiliation with the company, just respect from a long time ago.

OLTS

Posted: 01 April 2008 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-07-10

Thanks for the responses everyone. I found a grommet setter at REI in their tent repair section. I needed a 5/16” set to accommodate tent pole ends and the local hardware store only had 1/4” or 3/8”. The set I got is made by General and worked fine for the 3 grommets I put in on my shelter project over the weekend.