calculating cost of fill
Posted: 03 April 2008 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-01-18

I’ve been cold at night all winter and I’m ready to do something about it!

My question relates to a quilt that I will use inside my home, but it applies to quilts used for camping.

I’m guessing this topic has been addressed before.  I cannot find it in the archived posts and would appreciate a link. 

I need to decide whether it will be more efficient to buy myself a new comforter or to make one.

I’m not sure how to estimate the cost of materials.

The comforter I would buy is 72x92” and contains 41oz. of Primaloft. 

My questions:

Should I buy Primaloft Sport or Prequilted Primaloft?  Because I will be using the comforter on my bed, weight doesn’t matter. 

Which weight should I use in my calculations—total CLO or loft CLO?  i.e. what do those terms mean?

Aside:  for a comforter to use on my bed, should I make flat baffles or 3D baffles?  Anyone know a tutorial/pattern for a flat quilt?

Thanks!

Posted: 03 April 2008 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Looks like the commercial one is 8 oz per square yard of primaloft.  You don’t mention what type of primaloft is being used, though, and it is unlikely that a home comforter would use sport or one.

Primaloft sport needs to be quilted so that unquilted areas are 2 square feet or less, while primaloft one is 6 square inches.  You can’t use yarn loops for any primaloft product, esp for a home item that will be washed frequently.  I strongly recommend against using primaloft one unless it either been prequilted or you have access to a quilting frame.

In all likelihood it will be less expensive to buy a home quilt unless you also intend to use it on the trail as the materials employed are more costly for outdoor gear.  I’d guess that at a minimum you’re looking at $60 or so for something in the 5 or 6 osy insulation range.

Posted: 03 April 2008 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-01-18

Thanks for the information!