Rain Fly for REI Bug Hut 2?
Posted: 07 July 2008 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-01-28

I’ve heard of people making their own fly for this, but never seen pictures or instructions. What would be involved?

I’ve looked at tents with similar lines, but they are very complex with 16 panels or more.

Posted: 08 July 2008 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

It’s not too hard to come up with a design.  There are several good tools to do this, such as:
a) some kind of CAD program, like the free google sketchup.
b) string, some stakes & poles, and a tape measure.

When you look at a commercial canopy, often the design has been panelized in order to maximize utilization of the fabric with an efficient cutting marker.  But a home maker might use an inefficient marker and because there’s only one being made the utilization percentage isn’t going to critically alter project cost. 

There are other reasons, too, such as to incorporate advanced methods like curved seams or grain-specific panels to control tautness and stretch.  But basic shapes are pretty easy with CAD or by stringing line in the shape you want and then measuring the lengths which are transferred to your pattern paper.  You can make it as simple or as complex as you want and can pull off.

Posted: 10 July 2008 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-01-28

Thanks
A simple design makes it less daunting. I’ll see what I can come up with over the summer.

‹‹ Hiking the AT      Climashield NEO ››