Art Loeb Trail, NC
Posted: 17 July 2008 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-07-17

Looking for any information (tips, tricks, etc.) on the Art Loeb trail. We are taking about 13 boys and adults for the trip. Any information on campsites and water would be appreciated.

Posted: 21 July 2008 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-03-28

I was just on a secion of the lope the other week.  Ivester gap to shiningrock in the shining rock wilderness the trail has quit a bit of overgrowth if it rains the brush will git u soaked. As for water on this secion there is a small spring near good camping just befor shining rock .  I am planning to do the art lope some time this week or next when is your trip?  I might have a little more info for you     BRING A MAP AND COMPASS things git really tricky from balsom to shining rock as the trial is not marked.

Posted: 21 July 2008 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2008-07-17

light worker;

Appreciate the help.  We leave in the middle of August, so please offer any insights on the trail that you can when you return. The information you gave me on the Shining Rock area is exactly what we are looking for!

Posted: 21 July 2008 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2008-07-17

light worker;  I wanted to make sure as well that the section you hiked and into Shining Rock was actually on the Art Loeb.  Or was this another trail nearby that Loeb? Did the camping site have a name or is there some reference so that we could find that spring and camp site?

Posted: 23 July 2008 01:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-03-28

Runaheadfar:  What I hiked from Ivester Gap to Shinning Rock was for shure on the Art Loeb.  As far as the camp sites near Shinning Rock from the intersection with the Ivester gap trail which is more like an old forest road you now you are there because there will be a sign for the shinning rock wilderness you are about 2 to 3 miles from shinning rock.  You will run the Art Loeb on the ridge pritty good open veiws.  Once the trail flattens off and widdens a little there will be good camping to your left and the spring will be on your right.  When you see the Shinning rock trial on your right, you’ll know it by the wooden log stairs about 4 of them you have just missed the sring by about 50 feet.  This is all asuming that you are starting at bevard and finnishing at the Danel Boone Boyscout camp

Posted: 23 July 2008 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2008-07-17

Cannot thank you enough for that last reply! This will be very helpful!
Look forward to hearing from you when you return your trip on the Loeb!

Posted: 04 August 2008 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-08-04

Just on the Art Loeb the last 2 weekends.  This is a great map orienteering trip.  If you are N-S, you will have white markers until you reach the Shining Rock for your direction only.  The trail has several small water sources on the way from Daniel Boone, but from you lose those quickly gaining elevation, so pack in enough to possibly supply for drinking and to prepare dinner.  Once you get past Cold Mountain it is fairly nice, steady hiking, but little water until you get past Shining Rock.  There are several nice camping spots along there for a group your size.  Water sources are on the left, just past a trail junction with 4 log steps.  Be careful through the balds.  It is very easy to get lost (this is the place for the kids to get out their compasses!)You will cross a road and follow the trail to the Pisgah Ridge.  For an 8-9 mile day, stop at the Deep Gap Shelter on the N side of Pilot Mtn. (the second deep gap).  THere is a water source and an A-frame shelter, plus lots of established campsites.  Cruise on the rest of the hike to Davidson River, but fill up on water at Sandy Gap, the last 7 miles there are no water sources on the trail, and limited water sources 1/2 mile from the trail at places.  I’ve been on this trail several times over the last 2 years, so if you have any additional questions, just let me know.  This is a great trail, with stunning views!!  (Bear are in the area, and you will pass through 6 ft tall thickets of blueberries and blackberries, so make plenty of noise and keep your campsite free of food, to keep the bears away for the next hikers!; Remember the 100 ft triangle)

Posted: 04 August 2008 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2008-07-17

Firebug:

Thank you again.  No worries with bear practices.  We always preach safe wildlife practices to the boys along with our LNT sermons!

We will be going South-North.  Our plan is to camp the first night just past Butter Gap.  We plan on camping at Farlow Gap the second night and Shining Rock the third night.  All dependent on water sources and sites, but it sounds like we will be okay with those sites to camp.  We will be caching water on the parkway to play it safe as well.