Recent changes to the site
Posted: 11 May 2007 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Thru-Hiker is now in its eighth year online.  Over the last couple of years traffic to the site and demands placed on our server have increased steadily.

To accommodate these growing demands, we’ve had to stop offering some content, like the various daily weather reports, the AT graphical temperature database, and recently the message board.

Enough is enough.  Thru-Hiker.com is in the process of moving to a new server that promises more than enough resources to handle the demands of the site.  This message board is currently running on the new server, and I’m in the process of moving the site’s content into our new database.  There are also some nice enhancements on the way from a new ecommerce platform to a WIKI. 

Thanks for your patience during the move. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

AYCE

Posted: 12 May 2007 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-05-11

Sweet! I’m in!

AYCE - How you living?

-Johnny Swank, MEGA 2k

Posted: 12 May 2007 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-07

Doing great Johnny: busy, just the way I like it.  We didn’t have much of a spring this year here in NH- seemed to go from freezing to black flies.  Getting out for some bouldering in the early a.m., coming back from rotator cuff injury.  Moved Thru-Hiker into bigger place in Rumney NH in Jan- lots more room here.  It’s an interesting building: New England style timber frame with high R-value SIP shell.  Very tight.  Wood stove combustion air had to be ducted right to the stove.

You and the missus start work on your hay-bale house/yurt/... ?

AYCE

Posted: 12 May 2007 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-05-11

We’re doing well. The missus starts her comp exams and orals this summer, and should be finished with her Phd next May. I’ll be finished with coursework sometime around that same period and assuming she is gainfully employed and can support me in the manner that I feel I deserve, will dive back into my dissertation next summer and fall as well. We’re playing with section-hiking the first half of the PCT next summer as well, but like always, that will depend on about 1,243,433 things falling into place at the right time. Hoping to finally finish my book on the Mississippi River trip sometime in the next couple of months as well, and it looks like I’m getting reprint rights on a few other really neat old-time travel books coming up. We’ll see how my publishing empire goes from there.

The house thing is going to have to wait a couple more years, but is definately still on the burner just simmering away. SIPS are great, and I’m a real sucker for timberframe homes as well.

Take it easy,

-Johnny Swank

Posted: 18 May 2007 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-05-12

Paul,
  The new site looks great,keep up the good work and I am glad to get the bugs worked out.
Your friend
EZ-DOES-IT

Posted: 18 May 2007 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-07

Thanks EZ-DOES-IT, always good to hear you.

Kind regards,
AYCE

Posted: 16 June 2007 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-05-31

The new changes look great and the login workaround worked fine for me.  I’ve been away from this site for probably 2 years.  Judging from the gear kits that are now available it looks like you’re going strong.

My tarptent kit is probably 5 years old by now and the quilt is maybe 2-3.  Both are doing great.

Posted: 21 August 2007 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-08-21

AYCE,

It has been a long time since I’ve posted here. The site looks great, as I would have expected. My wife and I had our first child 3 months ago (I think that was the last time I slept), so hiking and gear making has taken a back seat for a bit. However, I am looking forward to getting back into it. I still have a couple of your kits to assemble!

Now I am looking forward to having a hiking buddy in a couple of years . . .

Hope all is well with you and I look forward to chatting and learning more on the boards.

Time to dust off the sewing machine :O

Cheers,

-NeilE

Posted: 22 August 2007 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-07

Great hearing from you again, Neil, and congrats on the new addition!

AYCE

SilPolyester question ››