Newbie questions - synthetic quilt
Posted: 26 July 2008 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-07-24

Hi all,

I am planning on making a quilt similar to the one by Glenn Hecko here…

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/make-quilt/index.html

I am using 1.1 oz ripstop and 5oz Climashield XP.  My one idea for a modification to the design so far is to use snap closures instead of sewing the footbox closed.  I thought of velcro first but then read some posts about entangled socks and that would drive me nuts.  I think it would be good to have the flexibility of unsnapping the footbox if I felt I needed more room or if it is warmer.  If there are any comments on this design and said modifications, I would appreciate them greatly.

I also have a few questions as I am a newbie at sewing.  I will be using my wife’s Bernina (model 1008) and will get some help from her with setup, etc.  Here are my questions…

1. Should I wash the ripstop before I cut and sew it?
2. What size needle should I use?
3. What stitch should I use?
4. What kind of thread should I use?
5. I am guessing since most seams will be inside the quilt, I don’t need to worry about felled seams.  Correct?  What about the seam on the bottom where I close up the quilt, should I do a felled seam there?

Also, once it is made…
6. How, and how often should I wash it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

best,
Purkolator

Posted: 28 July 2008 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2007-10-14

I use the snap footbox on my quilts and i love it.  I place my snaps 6” from each other and use webbing pullouts to give the snap some reinforcement. (oh i do 5 snaps at foot and 1 at head)

1) Don’t wash it first.  It would fray all over and your wife would kill you for the mess.
2) I use the smallest universal needle i have on hand. Size 9 i think, just a guess as i don’t pay much attention to details.
3) Straight stitch.  I space mine @ 2.5 or 3mm
4) I use guterman 100% polyester
5) No felled seams, all simple seams.  When leaving my 8” hole to turn it inside out i always sew the insulation to either the shell or the liner (not both or it won’t be a hole) so when i turn it inside out i just have to tuck the raw edges in and top stitch it shut.  I pull the edges tight so i can see how it should line up with the rest of the edge and maybe use a pin or 2 before i sew to make sure it looks nice.  I like to hide this hole near the footbox on the side with the male snaps, because it will be under the females (hmm…) to hide this area of exposed stitching
6) I’m dirty and don’t wash mine

-Tim

Posted: 28 July 2008 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Joined  2008-07-24

Great, thanks Tim.  I am kinda dirty too.  Sounds like my kind of maintenance program! :cheese:

Posted: 28 July 2008 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-14

happy to help

Posted: 29 July 2008 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Joined  2008-07-24

Hmmm, OK Tim, now you have me thinking about how I attach my snaps.  I was assuming I would press them right on to the bottom seam (they are a press fit type deal right?), but your use of pullouts seems prudent.  But now I am thinking about how exactly that would work and am just confusing myself.  Any chance you could describe in more detail, or better yet post some pictures showing where and how they are fitted on your quilts?

thanks again for the help!
Brad

Posted: 29 July 2008 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-14

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh231/marshlaw303/S5300034.jpg

Here is a pic i already had up.  Basically before you sew up the SIDE seams you pin in these 3-4” (flat length) gross grain loops (i do them 6” apart).  Once it is all sewn up you turn it right side out, sew the hole shut and add the snaps.  I use ones from OWFINC and they are hammered together.  You have to get the kit the first time.  I used to just use a nail set to force through all the layers to make my hole, but now i use a leather punch.  I punch the hole and place the snap through and pound away.  I think that covers it

-Tim