Sandals?
Posted: 01 July 2007 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-05-11

AYCE - What are you wearing for sandals these days? I’m still a Chaco guy, and am digging this new sole, but am always up for something lighter.

Posted: 02 July 2007 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

I picked up many_pairs of wraptor II’s when they were closed out a few years ago at $14 to $30/pair. It’ll be years before I run out and have to muck around in finding something else that fits my feet well.  I haven’t even taken a fleeting look at footwear in years with the exception of Neos overboots (thumbs up, BTW), and it feels great.

They weigh a little less than 14 oz per 1 sandal of the pair, so there are some lighter alternatives available if weight is paramount.  The model II has an improved sole for trails as compared to the original wraptor.  The tread is deeper and more durable than the @5-700 mi lifespan of the I’s, and less like a road running shoe. The inevitable doom by sole puncture caused by the subsole-sole void of the original wraptor was solved.  Longevity of the important parts of the model II’s is impressive.

They introduced a new invariable point of failure in the II’s by eliminating the small buckle that backs up the main velcro strap.  The velcro goes bad in time and without the little buckle it starts coming unstruck at inopportune moments.  This can be postponed by coming out debris from the velcro, but that is only a temporary fix.  Replacement velcro is easy with a sewing machine and could be accomplished on the trail with hand tools, or you could add a little buckle such as on the wraptor I’s.  It’s not a show stopper, but I hope the bean counter that cost reduced that part got canned.

AYCE

Posted: 28 September 2007 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-09-26

I read about your success with the Wraptors, have you seen or had thoughts about the Karnali Wraptor that has a bumper toe? Pretty light weight, and I find them the best fit to my foot possible. How they would operate on trail, I don’t know. Kind of a wide sole, which would be awkward on rocks, I would think. How were the ones you use for climbing? Mame

Posted: 28 September 2007 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

I read about your success with the Wraptors, have you seen or had thoughts about the Karnali Wraptor that has a bumper toe? Pretty light weight, and I find them the best fit to my foot possible. How they would operate on trail, I don’t know. Kind of a wide sole, which would be awkward on rocks, I would think. How were the ones you use for climbing?

They work pretty well.  I wear them pretty regularly day-to-day on crag approaches here in Rumney.

I’m not familiar with the Karnali Wraptor, though.  I bought so many pairs of the Wraptor II’s when they were phased out a few years ago it will be a long time before I’m in the market for something new.

I think if it fits your foot well you’re all set no matter what you get.  If you read people’s experiences on shoes they’re all over the map: some folks like arch support, some folks swear at it, etc.

AYCE