Excess seams on Liberty Ridge Shell
Posted: 26 November 2008 02:19 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-11-26

Just a question about the LR Shell: Is it normal for there to be a lot of excess material (about an inch mismatched) on the bottom of the sleeves, especially at the armpit? I’ve put the rest of it together fairly carefully and now the sleeve seams don’t want to line up.

Posted: 26 November 2008 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

If what you’re saying is that the two sleeve seam edges (between the cuff and the armpit) have different lengths which is causing the armpit to not line up— start pinning at the armpit and go to the cuff, then true the cuff edge.

If what you’re saying is that the seam edges between the sleeve and back are of different length which is causing there to be extra material at the armpit—true with a trim off the excess material edge.

Let me know what size you made and I’ll take a look at the pattern.

Posted: 27 November 2008 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-11-26
AYCE - 26 November 2008 11:53 AM

If what you’re saying is that the two sleeve seam edges (between the cuff and the armpit) have different lengths which is causing the armpit to not line up— start pinning at the armpit and go to the cuff, then true the cuff edge.

It’s both, the back attached part of the sleeve is longer than the front attached part and the cuff doesn’t want to be square.

If what you’re saying is that the seam edges between the sleeve and back are of different length which is causing there to be extra material at the armpit—true with a trim off the excess material edge.

This is what i ended up doing, pinning with a mismatch of about 1” at the armpit and working towards the cuff. Then after sewing the main seam, squaring off the cuff.

Let me know what size you made and I’ll take a look at the pattern.

I cut the pattern for the small size, used the long dashed lines. I had to add about 2” to the front piece to make it come down below the belt, seems to fit fine.