First Quilt Size
Posted: 14 March 2009 03:26 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-03-14

I’ve chosen 3.7 climashield combat for the insulation.  I’m using 1.1 ripstop for the shell and momentume taffeta for the bottom.  I’ve been searching for some sizing guidelines for the quilt.  I know everyone is different and I should use some cheap fabric to determine what’s the best fit for me.  I think 78” Length 55” @ Head and 40” @ Foot is about right.  I just want to know what everyone else is using and how they determined their sizes. Also, is everyone sewing the foot box or using drawstrings?

Posted: 16 March 2009 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2007-05-14

Here is how I sized my quilt.  Worked well.  Much easier to do with help from another.

I’ve been happy with drawcords at the head and foot end and 1/4 inch fabric tubing ties sewn into the side edges to close the shoulder and foot ends, 4 of them spaced 3 inches apart at the shoulder end, 6 of them space 3 inches apart at the foot end.

For length:
1) lie on your side, legs straight and together, feet at whatever angle they assume naturally, toes touching the wall, shoulders in a comfortable position, uphill arm lying on top of your body
2) Measure from wall along the uppermost part of your body, over your shoulder to the side of your neck.
3) add 1/2 the length of your foot, add another inch.
That made a perfect length for me when on my side, just slightly too long when on my back.

Foot end width, 3.5 times my foot length produced an adequate foot box diameter.

Width, while lying on your side like above, tuck one edge under you along your back side ... just enough, no excess.  Have your helper fold the other edge of the bag so that the folder edge just barely can be tucked in on the other side.  Have helper place 2 safety pins at the fold, one where your hip is and one at our lower shoulder.  Lay the bag out flat and measure from the pins to the far edge.  That provided me with a very good width at those two points.  Draw straight lines from the foot width point to the hip width point to the shoulder width part.

Posted: 17 March 2009 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2007-06-21

Using Jim’s system will allow for extra material in the width, so that when you roll over in the night or indeed sleep on your side, the edges of the quilt, or the sides, will not rise off the ground and create the dreaded drafts.  Getting the quilt wide enough is a VERY IMPORTANT part of quilt design!  Some designs have a one layer of material as draft dodgers sewn along the edges.  I also have not found draw cords at the top and bottom that helpful.  Add one to the bottom if you want.  Quilts with a foot box are warmer, and best for three season use, but not necessary for summer use.  A Thru-hiker contributor also added his plans to the mix.
http://home.comcast.net/~neatoman/quilt.htm

Here are some pictures that might be helpful:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561713820vwSrLL

The blue quilt was my first and it was not wide enough which is why you will see the big wings!  The black one was a Neatoman quilt using the plans above.  I wanted it to be warmer so I added the foot box and then an extra layer at the top which snaps closed to cover my head.  Before I added the red foot box and hood, the Neatoman design made an excellent cover for summer use, eg.  August in the Smokies. Adding the foot box was not difficult.  I clipped the bottom edges of the quilt together to form a circle which I then measured.  I cut out a circle on a piece of newspaper to make a pattern for the nylon.  I sewed a baffle in the middle and sewed around the edges,leaving an opening for the down.  I think I sewed the bottom in first before adding the down, but I do not remember. With the black quilt in a bivy, I’ve been warm at 20 degrees F.  I think you should really enjoy your homemade quilt.

To make an easy test quilt pattern, look for a painters plastic ground cloth.  There is one found at Home Depot that is not a see-through plastic, but a white plastic type cloth that will actually hold a stitch if needed.  When I cut out the material, I taped blue masking tape to a hardwood floor as an outline.  The blue tape does not have as much glue, so it is easier to pull up when you are finished.  Another time I used a ping pong table!  Someone else used a piece of sheet rock because it is easy to stick pins into, and string can be used instead of tape.

Posted: 26 March 2009 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-03-14

Thanks for the feed back.  I’ve finalized the size and I’m actually going to double up the 3.7 because I have extra material.  There is a weight penalty, but I spend most of my time over 3000 feet and the temps change quickly.  The added warmth will give me a margin of safety.  Once I’m finished I’ll post picks.

Image Attachments
Quilt1.bmp

‹‹ New Insulation - Insultex      Repair needed ››