Climashield Combat Inconsistent Thickness
Posted: 21 March 2009 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-03-14

I received my 3.7 Climashield Combat and when I unrolled it the first thing I noticed was how inconsistent the thickness was.  Some spots are about 1/8” and almost see through. While others are about 1” thick.  Is this normal?  I was expecting a fairly consistent sheet.  I’ve attached a couple of pictures.  You might also notice that the layers of the insulation are coming apart.  Is this normal?

Image Attachments
3.7 Combat 001-1.jpg3.7 Combat 008-2.jpg

Posted: 21 March 2009 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Hi Costalgrad-

Because of the way climashield is made in batted layers, it is typical for it to have higher and lower spots.  However, 1/8” is not normal.  This can sometimes be caused by the bats needing to be adjusted/unfolded from a nearby high point.

If you are dissatisfied, you can return it for a refund, but all continuous filament insulations will be similar.  It is the nature of that material that it is less consistent than short staple insulations which are very consistent.

Usually when people make an item with multiple layers, though, the average higher and lower spots cancel each other out.

Posted: 23 March 2009 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2007-05-14

I noticed the same sort of thing with 2.5oz Climashield XP.

I was making a shaped quilt comprised of three separate panels.  What I did:

* The layered nature of Climashield make it pretty easy to separate the layers to make thinner material
* I separated scrap pieces and layered the resulting thin pieces over the thin spots
* The three panels resulted in 4 lengthwise seams (the two edges the two more through the middle joining the panels.  That provided enough seams to stabilize the patches

That resulted in a slightly heavier quilt (just a couple ounces) but the temp range I’d like it to handle seems to fall between what I’d get from 2.5oz and 3.7oz so they are a welcomed couple of ounces.  Night time temps here are just starting to get in the range needed to test the outcome.

I’m sure the technique would also work well for folks making clothing articles.  I’m not so sure how it’d work for a single panel quilt.

Posted: 26 March 2009 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Thanks for the tips.  The insulation actually ended up being much wider than I thought.  It measures about 71” wide instead of the 60” I was expecting.  I’ve been able to modify my design and double up the layers.  Two layers of 3.7 is pretty thick and there is a weight penalty, but I spend most of my time between 3000-5000 feet so the temps can swing pretty quick.  The added warmth will give me an added safety margin.  I’m hoping to keep the weight around 1.5lbs.

Posted: 16 April 2009 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Here’s the finished quilt.  Finished weight is 1lbs. 9oz.  This is basically 2 layers of 3.7 climashield.

Image Attachments
Quilt1.bmp