Question on Liberty Ridge…
Posted: 15 July 2007 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-07-15

Hello AYCE.
I was unable to start on my Liberty Pants and Shell when I received them in the mail.  I made the mistake of combining the fabrics in the same bag.  Yeah, I’m new to this.  The fabric sizes are different.  Which is which?  Thanks for the help.

Posted: 16 July 2007 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Hi Matt-

The one with more fabric is the shell.  The shell ships as a pattern for all sizes, so it has to include enough fabric for the largest size.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance

AYCE

Posted: 16 July 2007 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Joined  2007-07-15

Thank you.  I appreciate the super fast response.

Posted: 17 January 2008 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-11-19

I bought a Singer 15-88, in outstanding condition, about six weeks ago. Since then I’ve been learning how the machine works and practiced stitching. Other than practicing stitching, I’ve made a few canvas peg bags, and made some hammock slap straps by bar tacking and cross-boxing webbing. I planned on doing a lightweight tarp for my first project, but so far haven’t found exactly what I wanted. I want a project to work on during these long winter nights and want to know if, as a novice, I should take on a project like the Liberty Ridge set? My wife seems to think that clothing is not the place to start.

An example of my stitching (rows are about 1/4” apart).
Here’s another.

Thanks

Posted: 17 January 2008 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-07

Your wife is right: clothing is harder than things like a tarp or the items you have made.  But there have been plenty of people who have started on the Liberty Ridge projects and have done fine.  If you’re the type of person who likes a challenge and want to start there, I see no reason why you shouldn’t try.  You could get the kit and then make a shell out of cheap fabric first to get the hang of things.  If it doesn’t come out right- no harm no foul.  Order 2 feet extra #3 continuous coil zipper for an extra 50 cents and you won’t have to salvage the zipper chain from your practice one.

Posted: 18 January 2008 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2007-06-11

Quoddy:  I sewed my first few items last summer—the Liberty Ridge Shell was the first, followed by the Liberty Ridge Pants.  Actually, I bought some really cheap cotton material at Walmart and made the Liberty Ridge out of that first (per AYCE’s suggestion)... then followed making the Shell out of the ripstop AYCE sent in the kit.  (Yep, I sewed one of the sleeves incorrectly on my practice material so I’m glad I ‘played’ first.)  Did both in a couple days.  My wife’s mother trained me (she was just awesome). 

I thought the hardest part about the Liberty Ridge Shell (as a newbie) was simply keeping track of right side and wrong side…. kind of important as your sewing the seams.  Other than that the instructions are great and you shouldn’t have any problems.  (I wanted my zipper on the LR shell to match the material so I purchased another zipper at Wal-mart for about $2 instead of the black supplied zipper.)  The LR pants zippers were a little challenge also. 

Have fun.

Posted: 24 January 2008 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-09-25

I made a Liberty Ridge in green about a year ago and since then have used it all over the country and totally dig it. My one caveat is the lack of a hood. I’d like to make one using both the instructions here and another hoodie i have as a template (i use it mainly for climbing so it’s important that the hood fit over a helmet and the old one does).

Long story short, which green should i get to match the shell i already have, Dark Green or Forest Green? I think only one green was offered a year ago. Thanks.

Posted: 24 January 2008 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-07

Hi Pointy-

I suspect you got the dark green.  The kelly green is very obvious, and the forest green is a new color that just came in.
If you want to be sure, post a pic of your shell.

Great to hear you’ve gotten some good use out of your LR Shell.  I find it invaluable to have something to cut the wind be small enough to stuff in a pocket.  Much more likely to take something like that with you for a day of multi-pitch or cragging.

Posted: 21 February 2008 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Joined  2008-02-21

I just got my Liberty Ridge Shell kit and my wife is helping me make it (she’s a good seamstress).  We have a question.  The momentum material has two sides: a “shiny” side and a “dull” side.  Which one goes to the inside of the shell and which to the outside?

As an aside I’ll mention that the Forest Green color looks a lot more like gray than green.  If there was no mistake in my order then you might want to change the name to “stormy sky” or something similar. :)

Posted: 21 February 2008 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-07

The shiny side is the ‘wrong’ side and the matte side is the ‘right’ side.

RE color:  If you’d prefer something else, let me know and you can exchange what you have (uncut) for something else. I think “gray-green” is probably better than forest green or stormy sky.  I can’t think of any time I’ve seen a green sky…
Slate green maybe?

Posted: 21 February 2008 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Joined  2008-02-21

Thanks for the quick reply.  Your answer makes sense and was what we guessed.

As to the color I don’t mind it much but I would have preferred a Dark Green.  I think what confused me was that on the store web site it lists Dark Green for the Liberty Ridge Shell but it doesn’t appear in either of the drop downs (either for momentum90 or ripstop) but this Forest Green was listed in the momentum90 drop down so my mind read it as Dark Green.  If you have a Dark Green in momentum I would be interested in trading, I have not cut the material at all.

Heber

Posted: 21 February 2008 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-07

Sorry, there is no dark green momentum; what you have is as green as it gets.  There is a 1.1 oz dark green 2nd.

Posted: 21 February 2008 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Joined  2008-02-21

Well no problem.  As I said the Forest Green is fine.  Thanks for checking.  I’m looking forward to making and wearing my shell!

Posted: 21 February 2008 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-07

No problem.  Let me know if I can be of further assistance and have a great time with your project.

Posted: 01 May 2009 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-08-05

Hi, dumb question time. What is the LR used for?
In what situation is it used?
Thanks

Signature 

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like “What about lunch?”

Winnie the Pooh

Posted: 01 May 2009 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-07

Hi Gunn-

Its primary use is to reduce heat loss from wind. 

The advantage to something like the LR is that it is very light and requires little real estate, so you tend to carry it rather than leave it at home.  Because it has no insulation, you can usually wear it during hiking/climbing where a heavier or insulation layer would cause sweating out.