Kinsman Pullover
Posted: 06 May 2009 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-08-05

Hi
I am thinking of making a std large size Kinsman, does anyone know what the finished weight of it would be?

Is it a kit for the more experiance sewers?

Thanks
gunn

Signature 

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like “What about lunch?”

Winnie the Pooh

Posted: 06 May 2009 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-05-14

Hey Gunn,

What weight insulation are you thinking of using the 1.8 or 3.0. The insulation will be the big factor.

Posted: 06 May 2009 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-05

Hi,  Thanks for your reply, I have seen a lot of your work :)

If I have read the kit page properly the kit comes with “A warm, durable layer of 0.4” Primaloft” So I guess I am just going with that?

If I have it wrong and I need to order a “Customize your insulation” please let me know.
I want a jacket to replace my fleece that weighs a bunch less and is a lot smaller to pack.

Thanks
Gunn

Signature 

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like “What about lunch?”

Winnie the Pooh

Posted: 06 May 2009 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-05-14

Hey Gunn,

If you look at the order page for the kit the last menu allows you to pic the insulation it shows 3.0 or 6.0 in premaloft sport. If your going to be backpacking or hiking with this Fall spring I’d go with 3.0 unless you really run cold or camp in the cold. For me the 1.8 or the 3.0 weights I use the most. The 6.0 I find I use around town in the winter or day hikes peak bagging.

JFF

Posted: 06 May 2009 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Size L, 0.4” (ie 1.8 oz basis weight) sport, 1.1 oz shell/liner is going to run @ 9 oz +/- 0.5 oz.  Pattern area is @2800 square inches for size L.

If you can afford it, the Momentum shell is worth the extra money.  It will not save you much in terms of weight, but the fabric itself performs much better and looks great.

Posted: 06 May 2009 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-05

Hi
I can only see a 6.0 in Primaloft.
Here in Perth Australia I may get to the low 30"s not much lower. But it must be a small packable size.

So, could I order
outer shell, coyote brown.
Inner shell, grey green
A double pull #3 slider, to make it reversible.
3.7 climashield, as the insulation.

Would that kit work?

Thanks
Gunn

Signature 

Winnie the Pooh

Posted: 06 May 2009 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

There should be a 3.0 oz Sport option on the insulation dropdown; try reloading the page or adding the kit to your cart from the main kit list.

3.7 oz Climashield would work, but I think if compressibility is of prime concern Primaloft would be a better choice.  I think you’d be happy either with the standard 1.8 oz basis weight Sport, or if you felt you needed more the 3.0 oz.  Primaloft is softer and has a better drape which makes it work particularly well in apparel.

There’s no problem with getting the shell & liner combo you want—just shoot me an email after placing your order to let me know that’s what you want as it isn’t going to be able to be added to your cart that way, but the reversibility option is going to be complicated somewhat by the final seam which runs from the cuff to the hem.  This seam doesn’t lay flat when it’s finished, so you’d have a ridge on the outside of your jacket.  You could make it happen with some bodging…