Insul-Bright anyone?
Posted: 18 July 2007 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-05-14

Not sure about the weight or how good a insulator it is but I’ve read about it being used for insulated cozies for zip lock bag cooking. I was also thinking it could be used for cup cozy in the winter.

Has anyone on the site used it?

Here what they say:

Insul-Bright consists of hollow, polyester fibers needlepunched through Mylar. The hollow fibers resist conduction, while the reflective mylar resists radiant energy. The energy, hot or cold, is reflected back to its source. Easy to sew, plus your finished project can go right into the washer and dryer.

Posted: 19 July 2007 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Sounds like an interesting material.  Never been one for cozies/insulated mugs, though I can see how something like that would work well for freezer bag cooking.  What’s the weight/sq yd?

AYCE

Posted: 19 July 2007 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-14

I’ve only seen it used in a finished product and the person had jazzed it up with some 1.9 oz fabric so I can’t say what the weight will be of the product alone. I orded a yard and will report back.  I currently use a product Reflectix which works very well but stiff and can’t be sewn. I have a feeling this will come out around the same weight. The bigger issue will be the insulation value and how it will compare. I’d give a little weight if the insulation was better.

JFF

Posted: 30 July 2007 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-14

Yesterday I had some time to work with the Insal-Bright insulation and wanted to post some thoughts.

The insulation weight from the manufacture is 5oz per yard. I’ve attached some pictures for a cozy to use with a zip-loc freezer bag and a proximitly 8x8, weight is .08 oz. I used a flat-loc seam around the outside so no seams or seam allowances needed.

I have yet to try it other then for fit so I can’t comment on how well it works in comparison to the commonly used Reflectix. The strengths are that it’s flexible, washable but it weights a little more and requires a bit more work to make anything usable.

I’m happy with the results but the real test will be in use. ;-)

Joe F

Image Attachments
0utside.jpginside.jpg

Posted: 31 July 2007 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Looks good Joe- 

So if I have this right, it came as a sheet of insulation with a mylar layer in there somewhere.  You then shelled it black/red. 

I think you could compare efficiency by making something similar out of Primaloft or Climashield.  Similar water bottles filled with the same quantity & temperature water could be left in an identical environment for a measured time duration.  The thermal efficiency could then be estimated proportionally from the difference in end temperature of the two water samples.

AYCE

Posted: 31 July 2007 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-14

The insulation is about 1/4” thick with the mylar layer in the middle. It’s been compared to Reflectix using two of the same meals. After 15 min the temp was about the same but they didn’t give readings. I had planed to do it with hot water in my apt and see how it goes.

I hadn’t considered comparing the efficiency to Primaloft or Climashield. Two things come to mind that might be and issue, condinsation inside and durability. I used some left over Momentum90 for the shell and liner but maybe something non-breathable could be used to cut it down condinsation. I have some left over Primaloft but haven’t worrk with Climashield. Maybe sil on the inside and M.90 on the outside with 6oz of PLS.

JFF

Image Attachments
fabric.jpg

‹‹ BSA project      Seams ››