Down storage compression
Posted: 07 June 2009 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-04-07

I need to make a cotton storage bag for my quilt. I know, it’s better to keep it uncompressed, but can’t do that. The quilt has 12 oz. of down. Is there a ‘rule of thumb’ for storage compression?

Signature 

will trade kidney or other internal organ for goose down   god bless you

Posted: 16 June 2009 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2009-04-14

If you’ve got 850 fill power down, then you should leave 850 cubic inches for each ounce of down, which works out to about 167 liters *uncompressed* in your case. So, that’s the most you’d need. You can figure out how much smaller you want to make it.

I guess the rule of thumb for storage compression is “don’t” or, barring that, “as little as possible”.

—Peter

Posted: 18 June 2009 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-04-07

Thanks, I have to compress it for hiking, and it takes it’s toll, but, it comes back, especially if it’s hung in the sun for a while. Storage will be uncompressed.

Signature 

will trade kidney or other internal organ for goose down   god bless you

Posted: 02 July 2009 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2009-04-14

Sorry, I thought you were asking about storage compression from your original post. As far as compression during a trip, I just stuff my sleeping bags into the smallest bags they’ll fit in. My Marmot Helium EQ—19.5 oz fill weight, 850+ fill power down—fits in an XS stuff sack. Yes, it’s very warm!