One weekend = more gear!
Posted: 02 August 2009 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-07-06

So I ordered so materials from here and made a few things this weekend.
I made a synthetic quilt for one. I used 3.7 climashield. Around the head of the sleeping bag I added a strip of
insulation as well as at the foot. I added a larger section of insulation to the back. By doing this I hope to make the bag closer to 30 degrees.

I made the Liberty ridge wind jacket to and a few stuff sacs. With the left over material i plan on making a insulated vest( i had some insulation left over), and some pockets one my pack. I even made a very bad looking sleeping cap!

Thanks for the good material and great service!

Pics will come

Posted: 03 August 2009 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Excellent and congrats! Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Posted: 04 August 2009 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2009-07-06

I tried out my quilt last night. It got down to the low 50’s and it felt fine. The only problem was keeping the quilt closed off so heat wouldn’t escape. The test is going to be on the Tahoe Rim Trail hike, going to be low 40’s at night.

AYCE thanks for the awesome and speed service.

As soon as i get all my DIY projects done ill post the pics, and of the Tahoe Hike.

Posted: 10 August 2009 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2009-07-06

Got back from the trail yesterday. Good hike but it snowed on us and a friend hurt his ankle so we had
to call of the hike.

The bag was warm the first night, which was in the high 30’s with the wind but when it snowed it got to the high 20’s and the bag was much to cold. With a draft stopper ill stay warmer so i plan on adding that. Also I am going to sew in the remaining insulation to make it warmer.

I was surprised at how water resistant the liberty ridge shell was. We hiked in the snow for a good 2 hours and the layers under it didn’t get wet.

The next quilt ill make for my thru hike will be made from a layer of 5oz and a layer of 2.5(or two layers of 3.7). It will have a draft collar and draft stopper for sure.

I also had the chance to try out the six moon designs gatewood cape. Its a great little tent! I didn’t use it as a poncho but the i am sure it will keep me dry. Fended well against the snow. I plan on getting bug netting that i can clip on. Ill have to measure the materials and angle cuts for the cape so you all can try to make one.

How might i load pictures on a page. Every time i try the picture file is to big, how might i get around this?