ripstop vs taffeta momemtum 90 uses
Posted: 04 August 2009 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-01-11

what are the appropriate / recommended uses for the ripstop vs taffeta momentum 90 fabric?  both are listed for use in sleeping bags and apparel.

I’m making a sleeping bag cover that will be all Mom90, no silnylon bottom (I use a ground sheet), and am wondering about the benefits / drawbacks of both, and which is going to work out better.  taffeta top, ripstop bottom?  all taffeta?  all ripstop?

Posted: 04 August 2009 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Typically Momentum-T is used as a liner material because it is very sheer and only available in black, while Momentum-MR is used on the shell because it is available in many colors and is a ripstop. 

You can use a taffeta on the shell if you want and are OK with black as they both have a high quality DWR.  The same goes for all MR since it’s a bag cover and the inner surface of the fabric won’t be against your skin so the sheerness of taffeta won’t come into play.

Buying all one type may mean that you can produce a more efficient cutting pattern which may reduce the cost of the project.

Posted: 04 August 2009 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Joined  2008-01-11

I’ll probably be using the cover in the summer for a light cover.  taffeta or ripstop for that application?

Posted: 04 August 2009 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

It’s a shell: use MR.

Posted: 04 August 2009 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Joined  2008-01-11

sounds good.  thanks for the quick reply.