First Project
Posted: 09 September 2009 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-09-09

I have a bit of experience sewing and am wondering how ‘difficult’ the Maxima is. Of the synthetic kits it is the only one with is noted as such. I am pretty patient and don’t mind if it were to take a while, but I also don’t want to be in over my head.

Second, I am working with some…older equipment. I am wondering what types of stitches I will need to make in these projects so that I can practice them before.

Cheers,
  Matt

Posted: 10 September 2009 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

It’s hard.  There are a lot of things going on, from baffled zippers to insulated pockets, along with thicker layers of insulation which adds seam bulk.  I don’t recommend trying this unless you’ve got experience specifically with insulated apparel, or if you’re the type of person who likes to get in over your head and dig your way out. 

Older equipment is OK as long as it is tuned properly and the operator is skilled.  Besides the straight stitch, the instructions call for overcasting, but this can be omitted if needed.  Overcasting prevents fraying of cut edges which can also be done by searing, but also reduces insulation bulk for later seaming steps.

Posted: 12 September 2009 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-09-09

Thanks that is good to know. So would be Kinsman be a more appropriate first project. I have only sewed a little on my Mountain Hardwear synthetic puffy coat. I tacked the hood together because it was just three separate layers. I also added a piece of tape on the draft tube so that the zipper wouldn’t get hung up. I am not really intimidated by these types of projects I guess, but all the same I would like to be successful too.

As of now my goal is to have a finished Maxima by the holidays. If it would be adventitious for me to do a project to learn some of the skills I see the value in that.

Anyone have any thoughts? I guess I am trying to test the water before I dive in.