Seams
Posted: 23 July 2007 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2007-06-11

Just tried the Liberty Ridge Shell kit. Picked up some inexpensive ‘practice’ material (60/40 cotton/poly at Walmart for $1yard) to practice sewing the shell as per the instructions.  Having never sewn before and with only some recent experience with stuff bags I found the shell quite simple (at least with the practice material).  I admit that an experienced sewer gave me a few pointers occasionally (e.g. how to orient the pins so the sewing needle misses them).

On the practice material I did use the French seams.  However, I also experimented with the flat-fell seam on some scrap material.  It looks very nice and strong.  I am about to use the silnylon material for the final shell.  The instructions call for the french seam. 

*** Are there disadvantages to using the flat-fell seam rather than the french seam?

Second question.  When sewing the seams along the curved section,  my experienced guide recommended cutting some notches along the curve after the first (of two) seams in the french seam.  She said the notches would allow the material to ‘curve’ better and avoid the puckering.

*** Would cutting notches work with the silnylon material?

Thanks.

Posted: 23 July 2007 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

You can put any kind of seams you want on your shell.  The pattern is set for 5/8” seam allowance so if you change seams make necessary adjustments.
Seam strength isn’t an issue with the LR shell.  If you’re trying to make the sil-nylon project easier use a simple seam.  Sil nylon doesn’t fray much.  I can’t think of any disadvantages from using flat-felled seams, though, if it’s something you really want to do and can pull off. But I also can’t think of any advantages to doing so other than to build experience.

Your friend’s tip RE making little notches around curves will work with any fabric.

AYCE

Posted: 23 July 2007 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-11

Thanks for the insight AYCE.  I personally find the flat-fell seams easier to sew than the french seams.  I’ll proceed with sewing the shell using the silnylon.

Appreciatively, 

- MEH

Posted: 10 August 2007 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2007-06-21

How do you orient the pins top be missed by the needle?  I orient the pins at right angle, not parallel to the needle.  The needle misses most of the time.

Posted: 10 August 2007 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-11

I orient the pins on a right angle to the direction I am sewing.  The machine needle will miss the pins almost all the time; however, the few times where the needle is dead on the needle will slide to the side of the pin.