rodent proof container
Posted: 10 October 2009 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-10-10

Anybody have recommendations for a lightweight, inexpensive rodent proof container? We’re anticipating mice and ringtails in the Grand Canyon.

Posted: 12 October 2009 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

There’s a trick commonly used on the Appalachian Trail to keep mice out of your gear. Because mice can crawl down a drawcord or line to get to hanging food, a can is added to the line.  The mice cannot get around the can without falling off when it tips.  This technique may be enough for your trip.  It is effective in AT trail shelters which are chock full of mice.

There are other options such as crittersack, a bear canister, or ursack.

Image Attachments
IMG_1917.jpg

Posted: 18 October 2009 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-10-10

Thanks for these tips. I don’t think hanging is going to work at the Canyon as it’s hard to depend on a place to hang from things from at the threshold sites. I’ve heard of Outsak and Grubsack and am thinking about going with one of them. I was kind of hoping for a superlight alternative - like a miraculously strong lightweight plastic container that mice can’t chew through and ringtails can’t open.

Posted: 07 November 2009 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-06-09

I have heard that the air bags in cars is the same material as Ursack. You could probably get blown airbags from the junk yard pretty cheap. I have no idea how hard it would be to sew them but a simple stuff sack made from them should keep out small critters.

Posted: 17 November 2009 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-06-03
puppetlady - 10 October 2009 07:18 AM

Anybody have recommendations for a lightweight, inexpensive rodent proof container? We’re anticipating mice and ringtails in the Grand Canyon.

You can find The Grub Pack here http://www.grubpack.com There are three sizes and they bill themselves as being the cheapest yet strongest. They have “free shipping”