Finally finished my Kinsman
Posted: 11 October 2010 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-12-10

I finally got down to business and finished the Kinsman kit I purchased last winter.  I made several mods to the pattern.  I added 3” to the body at the body block, and 1” to the sleeve length to accommodate my need for a tall size (6’4”).  I also used the “relaxed” lines for the body, but the athletic lines for the collar.  I made a cheap cotton version first to play around with those extra dimensions.  And then I made one on-the-fly alteration…  Upon reaching the stage where I pinned the main body seams, the sleeves seemed a little bulky.  Since messing with the arm hole is (1) far too advanced for my skill and (2) not an option since I was so far along in the project, I trimmed 1.5” from each side of the arm pattern and rounded it back to the original width starting 4” and ending 1” from the armpit seam.  Since the arms were already attached at the shoulder seams it was a little tricky, but worked out fine.  Finishing the wrist elastic was also not straightforward since the elastic was now fully in the way of my new seam allowance.  Re-bar-tacking and trimming it back proved workable.  I’ve attached a photo of the arm pattern mod and one of the finished product.  Overall a great pattern and I’m really happy with the finished product.  Now, do I dare tackle a Whitney?  Thanks Ayce!!

Image Attachments
IMG_2534.jpgIMG_2536.jpg