Climashield APEX and space blanket quilt
Posted: 24 April 2011 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-04-23

I am working out the details for my synthetic quilt using 5 oz Climashield Apex and Momentum 90 MR and T. I am blatantly copying Katabatic Gears Palisade 30f bag (http://katabaticgear.com/shop/palisade-sleeping-bag/) as it seems to be the best design available. However, as I was mulling over the details last night I ran across a link (that I tried to recover, but failed) that described the use of a space blanket in combination with synthetic insulation. I am aware that it does not breath, but I am very curious what peoples thoughts are on using the 2.5 oz Climashield APEX in combination with a space blanket and how I should incorporate it into the quilt were I to pursue this option further

Obviously the final goal is to have the lightest most durable 30 degree-ish quilt possible while avoiding the hassle of working with down.

Thank you

Sven

Posted: 25 April 2011 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Space blankets aren’t all that heavy; vet the idea first without building the space blanket into the design.  Maybe try using a space blanket as a vapor barrier liner to supplement a bag/quilt, and if that works satisfactorily then try integrating it.

I am someone who finds non-breathable vapor barriers miserable and only tolerate using one when the greater evil is moisture freezing in my loft.

Posted: 26 April 2011 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-04-23

Haha, looks like i wont have to worry about it after all. I just did the math after making the template for the quilt and it should come in around 16-17 oz. Not bad for a $130 (including s&h), 1/3 the price of the katabatic palisade, 1 oz lighter and just as warm (Ive heard 25-30 degrees for the 5 oz)  :-)

PS

I can post my design if there is any interest after the bag is finished (assuming it works out)