MYOG Backpack
Posted: 03 June 2011 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-05-19

Ayce & others, what do you think about skipping a step by stripping off & using the straps/backing of an older daypack to construct a new, UL backpack?

I was at my local Goodwill, and even though the end of school is still 2 weeks away, there were already many packs available for $5-6. With so many to choose from, it’s easy to discern significant quality differences; in fact, there was a discarded Camelback that looked pretty bomb proof. Good padding, grosgrain piping, reinforced points, high quality stitching throughout.

If I were to use this technique, what kind of material would you choose for the bag itself, assuming the max load was around 20 lbs? 1.1 ripstop, 1.3 silnylon, 1.9 ripstop, 1.9 rip+PU, or something else? I don’t think the bag itself has to be water resistant/proof, as long as I make my own waterproof stuff sacks/liner.

I was thinking the bag could by 36” long x 36” circumference (ie approx 6x12/6x12 sides), and constructed like a large stuff stack (complete with reinforced bottom per T-H guide). I could add a lid, throw on some compression points, and be ready to go. It seems the only issue, once the appropriate bag material was selected, would be to make sure all the attach points were double/triple sewed.

Am I missing something? If this is such a good idea, how come there aren’t (more) projects/kits? If it is a good idea, I’d be happy to send along some pictures as soon as I get cracking & order the materials from Ayce.

Posted: 04 June 2011 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2011-03-05

Hi,

I am also planning on trying to make a backpack though I have other projects I want to try first.

Did you take a look at the Dyneema X Gridstop on the Materials tab?

http://thru-hiker.com/materials/coated.php

That might work for you.

Posted: 04 June 2011 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-05-19

I looked through some recent/older MYOG backpack threads @ BPL. Many were in favor of VX07, but then someone mentioned it’s simply laminated 70d 1.9 ripstop. Then another person, on multiple threads, stated that he has been using uncoated 1.9 for years with no problems.

So that’s what I’m going to do. I’ll strip down a good quality daypack for the Dyneenma straps/backing, etc - I can get one from Goodwill for around $5-6. Then I’ll get 1 yrd of uncoated 1.9 for another $6-7 to make a 34” (l) x 34” (c) stuff sack with re-enforced bottom, draw string & compression straps.

Last, but not least, I’ll sew the bag to the backing (with double/triple stitching at key tack points) to have a finished bag. I can easily mock up a removable waist strap to handle up to 20lb loads.

The ironic thing about the MYOG backpack is it’s potentially the cheapest/easiest project if you forgo making the straps and stick to a stuff sack approach instead of sewing multi-panels for the bag.

For example, the materials alone for a 8x10 1.3 silnylon tarp are $65+. Ditto for just a quilt shell/liner using M90. With this kind of backpack, it doesn’t matter if it falls apart - you can keep experimenting with the bag if the straps/packing are already bomb proof.