Needle not picking up bobbin
Posted: 21 August 2011 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-08-10

I’m making a day pack, on the prototype I used 1.1 ripstop silnylon, #9 machine needle, Gutermann 100% Poly thread, straight stitching, using the same thread for bobbin…all went well

now I’m making the final product using the 2.2 ripstop silnylon (different color) same size needle #9 (replaced with new one) same thread, same bobbin thread, same stitch

PROBLEM: the needle isn’t picking up the bobbin, I’ve adjusted the upper tension +/- with no change
replaced the new needle with a different new needle…no change, I even put the old needle back in and still it won’t pick up the bobbin

I didn’t make any changes to the machine and it has been working perfectly prior to today

I can sew scrap material like cotton and all is good

any advice?

thanks

Posted: 22 August 2011 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Assuming the machine is working properly from your report that you’ve had no trouble with other materials, it’s some combination of thread/needle/tension or some inherent difficulty with the material itself.  I’m not familiar with this 2.2 oz sil nylon.  Contact your vendor and ask for a needle/thread recommendation.

Posted: 22 August 2011 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-08-10

thanks, I checked with the supplier concerning the needle and thread as you suggested, according to them I have the correct stuff.

So I removed all the thread and bobbin, then spun a new bobbin spool and rethreaded…all is good again…weird little glitch I guess