Quilt Sewing Help
Posted: 19 September 2011 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-09-19

Hey Folks,

I am sure many of you have experience sewing quilts. I am in the final stages of finishing a synthetic quilt. I am using clothes pins to hold both sides of the fabric and the insulation. The problem is that the insulation is about 5 inches longer than the fabric because of the fabric naturally bunching up in the earlier stages of sewing. So, question is should I stuff the quilt with more insulation or cut the insulation to fit?

Thanks so much,

Marc

Posted: 20 September 2011 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

The reason why the insulation is 5 inches longer isn’t because the fabric bunched up in earlier stages of sewing.  The insulation stretched while you were sewing it, and then it contracted after it was sewn, causing the ‘bunching’.

It’s best to resew it, keeping it fron stretching.  If you can reduce the fabric by the size of 2X the seam allowance, it might be easiest to cut out the seam rather than rip it out.

I tried to find out what insulation/shell you used but couldn’t find an order under your name.  Is this something you purchased here?

Posted: 21 September 2011 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-09-19

Excellent. Thanks for the clarification. I sewed it again and it came out just fine. BTW- I used the Ray-Way kit with two insulation layers of “woodland” insulation. The kit I try will be from here.

Thanks again!

Posted: 26 September 2011 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2007-06-21

Is a pattern for a hood of a sleeping bag still available?