Shorter Zipper on the Kinsman
Posted: 06 October 2011 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2011-03-05

I’m going to start on my second iteration of the Kinsman Pullover. One of the mods I’d like to try is to shorten the zipper to about 13” long. In doing so, I’d also like to make the entire front panel a single piece.

I am trying to figure out how I would install the zipper… Part of the problem is that since the front would be all one panel, there’s no opportunity to put the zipper pull on, at least as per the original instructions. I was hoping that I could just follow the regular instructions and then just slide it on from the top of the zipper tape but I tried it and it doesn’t seem to work.

Would the best approach be to sew the zipper in at the very beginning (with the pull already on the zipper) before the liner/insulation fronts and backs are sewn together? It would basically be the first step after quilting the insulation to the liner edges, before any panels were sewn together…

I’d like to keep the front panel without any seam lines. Can’t quite figure out the zipper aspect and the order of operations…

Posted: 11 October 2011 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

It’s difficult to get a zipper intall like that on an insulated item to look right.
You might try zipper placement tape from the notions aisle.  These positioning tapes can make getting the zipper in properly easier.

Posted: 12 October 2011 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2011-03-05

Yeah, I’m reconsidering that idea… I’m more worried about just getting everything sewn in the right order and not ending up with a jacket that’s permanently inside-out. ;)

I think I’m going to go back to the original pattern and maybe just change the size and/or shape of the lower panel to accommodate the shorter zipper.