Just how waterproof is Momentum90?
Posted: 19 February 2012 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-02-14

I just finished my Liberty Ridge Jacket and it is perfect for my needs. So far I’ve used it for two runs in light rain and it breathes well and has kept the rain off. I was showing it to a co-worker of mine and he really likes the design and weight of it. He’s doing a 1 month bike trip along the pacific coast in late summer/early fall and wants me to make him some rain gear. It would be his primary/only rain gear during a season in which he could run into some pretty serious rains for the first half of the trip.

If I seal the seams is Momentum90 up to the task? As a test I made a depression in my jacket and poured in a quart of water. Almost immediately water was beading through the seams which I expected but not long after water appeared to bead through the fabric a bit as well. Is this even a valid test?

Teryk

Posted: 19 February 2012 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

M90 is water resistant, not waterproof, and will wet out eventually.  You need some kind of waterproof raingear unless you’re warm enough that you can be wet and not cold (aka buffalo).