thread and needle suggestion?
Posted: 08 April 2012 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-03-19

So I’m embarking on an epic quest that is nearly destined to fail and/or hit major road blocks haha. I’m going to make myself a down quilt, stuff sack, and ground cloth to upgrade my backpacking gear.  I placed an order for the down quilt kit here last week and can’t wait to get it and start working away! 

I’m just curious as to what thread you all would suggest, if any?  when searching on amazon there are a gazillion different 100% polyester threads and I don’t know if one would be better than another or its all just moot.  Also, the best needle to use would be a size 9, am I correct?

and of course, any general tips on practicing my sewing skills (or just sewing my bag at all)? I haven’t used a sewing machine in years and definitely need to get some practice in before I start to work with my new gear.

Posted: 08 April 2012 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Joined  2012-03-19

I know I’m going to have a bunch of dumb questions as this project goes on.  My first is this:  if I’m shooting to use all of the 12 oz and have roughly a 20 degree quilt, how tall do I want to make my baffles? I’ve read conflicting information online about this. Some say go longer (than your loft) some say keep it shorter. So I’m somewhat confused. I’m planning on making them 5 inches apart if that is important.

Posted: 09 April 2012 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Two good brands that are widely available are Guttermann and Metrosene. 

Thread is a good thing to buy locally because you can match the thread color to a swatch you bring along.  Your local fabric shop will have one of those two brands.  The standard size is fine—you don’t need the heavier duty version if they have it.  Pick up a smallish spool for the shell color and a large spool of black (because black will be used for all your projects but you might change your shell color next time around).  Stay away from serger thread.

Match your needle (sharps, not ball point) to the thread.  You’ll probably select a 70 or 65.

You can cut your baffles somewhere around 2”.  Some folks cut at exactly 2” and use a 1/4” seam allowance, figuring that bulging gets them that extra 1/2” of loft.  You can go a little bigger, say 2.5” wide with 1/4” seam allowance which gets you 2” baffle height.  Bulging between the 2” baffles adds a little to the compartment volume. 

5” spread is good. 

It’s a good idea to add 10 to 20% to your calculated down amounts.  Once it’s all stuffed, lay it out to see how it’s lofting and plump a compartment if neccessary. 

Note that if you’re really going for that 20* rating, you’ll have to pay close attention to sealing up the quilt.  Air infiltration is the fastest route to heat loss.

Posted: 09 April 2012 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Joined  2012-03-19

great thanks AYCE!  definitely need to go checkout joanne soon.

As far as 20 degree, I’m more aiming for the loft that equates to 20 degrees..2.5 inches. I’m not planning on using it anything too cold being my first quilt. if this goes well I want to make a warmer winter one.  But I did get some stuff to help close the bag around my neo air (some on my order from here! :D ) and I’m thinking about modifying the design a bit and enclosing the quilt completely so its like a regular bag but with no down on the bottom. then my neo air can slide right into so I don’t have slippage or draft issues.  But that will add a bit of weight so we’ll see, I think its something I can likely add once I’ve had my quilt out on a few trips.

Posted: 08 August 2012 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Joined  2012-03-19

so a few months later, my bag has turned out great.  however, I notice that my bag is fraying a bit.  any suggestions on how to stop that?