Lining Up Seam End Points vs Fabric Edges
Posted: 02 August 2014 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2011-03-05

Something I learned recently is that if the fabric corners are not both similar angles, you have to line up the seam “end points”, ie, the seam allowance intersections, NOT the fabric edges. If one piece has a “pointy” corner and the other is 90 degrees, the seam end point on one piece of fabric could be a long way from the matching seam end point on the other piece, if you are lining up the edges and corners of the fabrics.

So in those cases, you just ignore the fabric edges/corners and make sure the seam end points are aligned (ie, with chalk, a pinhole, etc). Incidentally, this means that the edges and corners of the fabric at the starting point WON’T be lined up at all, which looks wrong, but is correct.

The way I tried to handle this was that I marked the seam allowance in chalk for about an inch in so I could make sure that the seams themselves were lining up at the beginning and at the end.

If the two pieces are unequally curved (ie, straight piece to curved piece), this can cause even greater seam discrepancies. In these cases, I marked the top side of the (bottom) curved piece of fabric so you can see it when you get there. It’s harder and less accurate if you have to keep flipping the fabrics over to check.

In short, the fabric edges and corners don’t matter; what matters is that the seam lines lay on top of each other (especially the seam intersections). This means that the edges and corners of the fabric at the starting and ending points might not be lined up. But the seam end points are, and that’s what matters.