ula rain wrap DIY???
Posted: 31 August 2007 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-06-08

I just ran across the ULA rain wrap on their site - I’m not into wearing skirts, but this seems like a really good idea, kind reminds me of how everyone wore cloaks hundreds and thousands of years ago - maybe they were on to something - its certainly easier to make.  this looks so simple I’ll probably make my own, perhaps with spinn cloth to shave a bit more weight.  I’m interested to see how it does well above treeline on a wet day in CO…  anybody made or used one of these???

I just got back from a trip to Wyoming where we backpacked into the Winds with ultralight camping gear, plus rock climbing gear, glacier gear, and 8 days of food…  so ultralight just let us bring more fun crap in….  but the weather was never stable enough to get on any rock routes, we did rope up on the glacier approaching Gannet Peak, but the mountain was half buried in cloud and it was snowing.  I was wearing my Liberty Ridge windcoat (w/full zip and hood) and Minima vest.  I also used Driducks rainpants, which proceeded to fall apart and the seam ripped all the way through the crotch, turning them into some very stylish rain chaps… so I’m now looking for rain pants… or a wrap…

Posted: 31 August 2007 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Those propore/provent/duravent style pants are of limited utility, but the tops are pretty good.  Most of the pants failure for propore/provent/duravent happens at the crotch.  Some sort of preemptive reinforcement might buy a little more time. 

Kilt works pretty well, esp in terms of ventilation.  They’re really easy to make, so it’s worth giving it a poke.  Good freedom of movement, too. 

I use 1.9 oz teflon DWR LR pants with knee high zips for most stuff.  They aren’t waterproof, but they’re reasonable esp as the weather cools down.  Excellent high-angle pants that play well with a harness.  It’s good to have a pair of pants to wear around town resupply stops, too.

AYCE

Posted: 31 August 2007 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-06-08

yeah, I have 2 pairs of 1.1oz teflon dwr LR pants, one with ankle zips, and I’ll probably skip the rain pants and the kilt since I rarely need leg protection when it rains.  and I’m cheap…  maybe sometime my curiosity will overcome me.

Posted: 11 September 2007 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-09-11

I’ve been using a home-made silnylon skirt (pull-on, not a wrap) for years and really like it. I pair it with a pair of homemade 3/4 length supplex pants/capris. I added tiny loops at the cuffs of the capris and corresponding snaps at the hem of the rain kilt. That way, I can attach the bottom of the skirt to my pants in a strong wind. Works pretty well (surprisingly, not something I’ve seen elsewhere…)

mr.strong

‹‹ Zippers help      Sewing Info ››