Checking on supply availablity
Posted: 24 September 2007 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-07-19

Ayce have you gotten around to ordering the #3 zipper pulls and stops? I have looked everywhere but can’t find it. The closest I have found are #3 coil zipper pulls. I really need 12 pulls and stops for # tooth zipper. I would prefer locking but anything will do at this point. Could you let me know when I can expect them in, so I can order them. The good news is my non-zipper needing gear is almost done. I now have a quilt, tarp, hammock, (nearly) air mattress, some clothes and climbing harness. I have several pairs of pants nearly done awaiting zippers.

I almost tore my hair out over the air mattress though. Home Depot staff sold me polyethylene instead of polyurethane and I built my air mattress 3 times before I figured out the mistake. I was actually able to use the primaloft one fairly easily. It weighs less then your average store bought mattress but is still self inflating, insulated and 40” wide for me and my dog.

I will be ordering some more nano-see-um and I was also going to need some more titanium. I am make my custom UL laptop a titanium case so I need a larger pieces. Something in the range of 7"x8” but I can order larger and just trim down. Any chance you have titanium in larger pieces?

I can post pics and designs if anyone is interested but be aware most of my planning had ultralight and utilitarianism as main goals. Most of the additional weight is related to using a more durable materials or larger so me and my dog can use it.

Thanks

Posted: 24 September 2007 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Hi Adam-

I may not get a zipper order in until next year.  The minimums for zipper orders are quite large, and I’m well stocked for the standard stuff.

You may be able to find tooth sliders for #3 chain at someplace like owf, quest, or seattle fabrics.  All I have right now are the #3 one way separating tooth zippers in 36 and 72” lengths. 

I should be able to cut different sizes of titanium, as long as they are multiples of 5.5”.  Let me know the details of what you want.

Congrats on your gear- sounds like you’ve been busy!

AYCE

Posted: 24 September 2007 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2007-09-12

Adam, how did you build your air mattress?  I’d be interested in the general design and materials you used.

Posted: 24 September 2007 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-07-19

Finley, I have two designs that you could use. The first requires you get some polyurethane plastic, either sheeting or tubes. You can also use cheap vinyl shower curtains and seal it with hh-66. If you get polyurethane then just seal the edges with polyurethane glue. Fold the edges over at least three times such as you would for a dry bag. It will take the strain of the glued seams and help it stay air tight. If at all possible use polyurethane it is stronger for equal strength. Then wrap an uncoated nylon around and either sew, velcro or button fasteners to it. I bought cheap water wings, the kind you use to teach kids to swim and stole the air valves from that. For the inside I bought foam and cut it into strips. So basically I made a 40"x 65” x 2” square frame. I chose the size based on my height and the width of me and my dog. I made smaller 1” strips and made a grid of 8” squares and then filled in the open area with primaloft one insulation. I used a polyurethane construction adhesive to glue the foam to the cover and each other. I covered one side with a reflective foil blanket under the plastic. I ended up using a urethane coated nylon because I had trouble obtain the polyurethane sheeting. I hope this made sense.

The cut foam looked like this. The foam is the lines and the blank spots are the insulation. In hind sight I would have had the foam store cut this design out of one sheet of foam which would have been much easier.
l__l__l__l__l__l

Ayce I will send you the dimension for the titanium as soon as my new 7” LCD arrives in the mail. I have rough measurements but until the screen is here I don’t want to order anything.