Modifying pullover or jacket patterns for female shape?
Posted: 26 September 2007 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-09-26

First, I think this site and forum section are fantastic. I am thinking about making a windshirt or the lighter-weight insulated pullover. I want to nip it in a bit around the waist, and let it flare back out at the hip. I also would prefer not to have huge shoulders in the garment. Are these changes possible with these patterns? I used to sew quite a bit, am ressurecting the skill due to my resurgence of interest in hiking and light weight gear. Thanks, Auntie Mame

Posted: 26 September 2007 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-05-14

I recently made some alterations to the Kinsman patter to suit my needs and would say altering the shoulders was the trickiest part but very doable provided your willing to take the time to make moc ups. A quick and easy way is to wait till your doing the French seam, pin and trim till your happy.

A very good book for anyone interested in making alterations is Sewing Outdoor Gear: Easy Techniques That Really Work” By Rochelle Harper (Taunton Press, 2001) You can buy is from the author http://www.cascadelayers.com/

She has easement charts and diagrams that go over the process of altering all parts of the body.

Joe F

Posted: 28 September 2007 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-09-26

Thanks, Joe. I checked out the whole gear forum and saw other things you made. Nice work. I am going to try that kinsman pullover and see what I can do. More later.  Mame