Main differences between Primaloft One and Primaloft Sport?
Posted: 26 September 2007 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2007-09-12

I’m a little confused about this.  I know that PL One is currently offered here as prequilted to two layers of scrim, but I’m aware that it could be sold not-prequilted.  So, if PL One has a higher clo value than PL Sport, then why is PL Sport so popularly used in garments by a lot of manufacturers like Integral Designs, for instance?  So if we compared unquilted versions of each insualtion, what are the differences between Primaloft One and Primaloft Sport?

Thanks

Posted: 26 September 2007 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-05-14

AYCE can give you the full story but the short answer is the PL-1 is made up from a shorter strand insulation and needs to be quilted to prevent it from falling apart. Spot if your careful can be used without the scrim.

JFF

Posted: 26 September 2007 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

The main pragmatic difference is that PL1 is difficult for the home gearmaker to work with.  It’s not impossible, but I won’t carry unquilted PL1 because it is likely to cause a problem.

Some other pragmatic bits: the sub denier fibers (the primaloft patent) really require the use of a downproof shell and liner to prevent bearding.  Marginally downproof items can sometimes fudge it by including the use of the nonwoven carrier scrim at the scrim weight penalty (@ .4 oz/sq yd).

On a functional level, PL1 is an extremely good apparel insulation.  It has excellent warmth for minimal bulk (and loft, so if you’re a ruler guy and reject CLO you won’t like PL1), good durability when made correctly, and superlative water resistance because of the siliconized fibers. I am working to make PL1 items practical for the home gearmaker.  There is still prequilted PL1 momentum combos available- see earlier posts on this topic.

When you consider workability, Sport is an excellent apparel insulation.  While not quite as thin or soft as PL1, it is still quite soft, reasonably easy to work with, and has clo values approximately equal to the new generation of continuous filaments.  As long as you quilt to minimize spans to 2 sq ft or less, Sport items are very resilient even when machine washed.

Both these insulations have been around for a long time now.  They are proven performers.

AYCE

Posted: 28 September 2007 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-07-19

Finley, I have used unquilted PL1 and it isn’t the easiest to work with. If you are prepared, use it properly and have quilted before it isn’t impossible and it is the better material. If you don’t have skills in this area and don’t want to curse while you learn and possibly ruin expensive gear just stick with the sport. Sport is still a good insulator but it is stabilized so you don’t have to quilt. If you still want to use PL1 I would go with the prequilted stuff ayce has. In fact now that my quilt and sleeping pad are done, I will be buying some prequilted to make a parka out of. It just is a lot of work that doesn’t need to be done in some cases. Besides Ayce has managed to make our lives easier. It is important to use a downproof material if you do use it. If you remember my air mattress I enclosed each pocket of insulation with foam to in effect quilt it. Good luck and keep asking questions.

Adam

Posted: 29 September 2007 04:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2007-09-12

Good ideas all around.  ACYE, I may take you up on that prequilted to momentum PL1, but first I’ll need to finalize my plans for the quilt I intend to make with it.