would trekking poles be helpful to someone with MS?
Posted: 09 October 2007 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-10-09

My son has joined a Boy Scout troop and we went on our first camp out.

I have Multiple Sclerosis, Fibromyalgia and degenerative disc disease (mainly cevical spine but rest of spin catching up).

I find walking at all on uneven surfaces very very taxing even though my gait is nearly normal.

I would not do lots of hiking but would love to feel more mobile in and around various outdoor areas/events/activities.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Posted: 09 October 2007 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Hi Eilis-

It’s great that you were able to get out on your son’s boy scout trip.  Trekking poles certainly help even out the rough spot on trails by unloading some of the strain from your lower body to your upper body.  I think it’s safe to say that anything that you can do to lessen the strain on your or any hiker’s body, such as carrying a minimum of weight and using poles, would be an advantage. Here’s a link to a previous discussion of trekking poles from someone who suffers from arthritis from a car accident. 

Most people who use trekking poles find them to be of benefit. Beyond general anecdotes over the helpfulness of trekking poles, a trip to your doctor, physical therapist, or other qualified medical professional would be useful. 

AYCE

Posted: 07 November 2007 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2007-06-21

Yes, I think the poles might help.  I know they have helped me keep my balance plenty of times.  A couple of options or accessories you might consider are the rubber tips that can be slipped on over the points.  They might give you a bettter non-slip grip on pavement.  Some poles come with a spring action to provide some give or “shock absorption” which might be of some help.  I think with some models the sring can be locked into place if you would rather not use it.  The give is not very much, but just something to consider.  It is great you are getting out and about especially to support your son.  Guys seen struggling with disabilities and coping can be a real inspiration to others, too, without you ever knowing it.

Posted: 07 November 2007 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Joined  2007-10-09

Me again.

Thanks for the info.  BTW - I am the MOTHER of the scout not the father <G>

This past weekend I tried the trekking poles and I was able to get around much better. 
No way am I able to hike with the boys but to be able to get around to the other things we do (or even just to the camp site latrine when needed) without cussing or having ‘issues’ was great.

I also played with adding Tyvek to my son’s tent and I had a Tyvek wrap/shawl for helping at the Scout Trek 0 Ree (our troop did First Aid station - lots of sitting waiting in the cold for the boys).  I may have looked like a bag lady but I was as warm as the guys with the expensive gear and better protected than in the wind!

Posted: 08 November 2007 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2007-06-21

Okay. But,  I did not expect a mother to be on a Boy Scout trip.  Now, don’t spoil that son of yours. I would also wager that some of those other boys liked having a mother around…just in case.  As for the tyvek, you were also quite hip because you had a multi-use piece of gear…windbreaker and ground cover!  I remember they once had windshirts made of tyvek.  They had a map of the world on them.  I do not think I want to be around you when your cussing, but I sure like your spirit.  Glad the poles helped.

Posted: 08 November 2007 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Joined  2007-10-09

LOL

Well I am a totally unrepentant tom boy -

and to some people not a classic mother at all!!

I am the first to tell my son: you will be fine - just go try! 

Poor child - no spoiling of him by me!!

‹‹ Parka with PL1      Gear updates? ››