Patching cuts in Momentum?
Posted: 22 October 2007 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-07-10

My beginner sewing skills keep getting tested on this Liberty Ridge Shell project. I need some advice from y’all about how best to patch or repair two small cuts in the fabric.

I’ll try to explain this best i can: trimming the edge for a French seam, a bit of fabric got caught and I made two small cuts in the back panel on the shoulder. The slits are each about 0.5” long each and probably about a 0.5” from the shoulder seam. I was thinking about cutting a rectangle of left-over fabric to sew in a box around the cut, maybe pulling apart one small section of the shoulder seam and resewing one edge of the patch into the shoulder seam.

Should I try to patch both outside and inside the jacket fabric? And/or singe the edges of the cuts to keep them from fraying? Add a bit of seam sealer to the inside of the new stitches? Or something else that I’m not considering?

Profile
 
 
Posted: 25 October 2007 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Avatar
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

There’s a few things you can do.  The easiest is to paste a patch cut from momentum onto either the inside or the outside of the cut with seam grip.  K-kote self-adhesive surface patches also work well, but would be better for something like a down jacket where you don’t have access to the inside surface.

A clean way to do it would be to hand stitch the cut closed through the fabric and momentum reinforcement patch on the inside.  The repair will look like a bar tack.

Try to keep it simple- this should be a quick, easy fix.

If you do a good job with the repair, you won’t have to singe.  I try to keep away from singeing single layer stuff like the LR Shell because the hard melted edge is abrasive, esp beneath a pack (hence the french seams).

Profile
 
 
Posted: 25 October 2007 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-07-10

Thanks Ayce, I did pretty much that. I put a narrow piece of momentum behind the cuts and bar tacked it in place. Looks very clean and sturdy, and it’s close enough to the shoulder seam that it’s barely noticeable. Thanks for the tip on seam grip, I was wondering about using some adhesive but didn’t need to on this narrow strip.

I gotta get more careful with the scissors, but the jacket turned out well-fitting and great looking anyway!

Profile