Air Bag Bear Bag
Posted: 23 October 2007 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2007-05-14

The title is nothing more then a Joke so please do get excited. I’m not saying use this in heavy bear country.

That said if your looking for a strong **FREE** fabric hit the local pick and pull and get a few air bags. Most of the yards around me will not charge for them if your already getting something. They have no value once opened.  If you can find a side air bag they are the biggest but the passenger side are OK. So far I’ve been using ones from Honda as they have a plastic coating on the inside I think works well. The material varies from company to company but most use some strong blend of nylon, Spectra and Vectran. Similar to what Ursack uses for there bags.

Due to the shape of airbags it’s a bit tricky to cut apart and get usable shapes but depending how big you could possible just use a driver side and just roll the edge.

I’ve attached one I’ve made along with a few other pictures. The first is the uncut airbag, the second is a close up of the fabric. The last two are of the bag I made.

Joe F.

Image Attachments
airbag.jpgfabric.jpgbag_top.jpgFoodBag.jpg

Posted: 23 October 2007 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2007-10-14

I am interested to know just how rodent proof they are.  It is my understanding that though bears obviously have far more crushing power, gnawing rodents can more easily breach soft bear bags, even the beloved ursack.  So, I’m interested to know what type of success you have?  DO you have any fill it with meat leave it outside kinda plans to test it?  (i think that would be a very controlled and scientific test)

Marsh

Posted: 23 October 2007 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-14

I had the same idea. I plan to leave it outside with some cheese. I’ll let you know how it goes. However my current bag I use is just sill nylon and mesh and I fine it’s all about a good hang when it comes to keeping the criters out. 

I like the PCT way.

JFF

Posted: 24 October 2007 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-06-03

What’s with the hole? An easy in and out for the little critters? 
Nice stitching in the 2nd picture.

Posted: 24 October 2007 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-14

I’d bet the first pic (with the hole) is of the airbag before he did anything to it.

Posted: 24 October 2007 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Looks great Joe.

RE rodent breaches: my original model ursack from 1999 is still hole free.

Posted: 24 October 2007 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-06-03

I guess I didn’t really concentrate on Joe’s 4th paragraph, although I do like my idea. Bag looks big enough for his food and a friend’s.  :)

Posted: 24 October 2007 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-14

I went back and added the description of the pictures afterwards to hopefully cut out any confusion. I forgot not everyone has seen an air bag. ;-)  I considered trying to use the air bag as is and the driver side air bags are about the right volume but the shape is like a pancake and I think it would be hard to hand although as you pointed out they are very well stitched.

JFF

Posted: 09 November 2007 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-14

Any results yet from the “cheese test”?

Posted: 09 November 2007 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-14

I left it out by the wood pile as I have some mice and small animals around there but it doesn’t look like I had any takers. I haven’t been out camping or hiking lately to take it along.

JFF

Posted: 17 February 2008 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-14

any more updates on this thing?  get a chance to leave it full of twigs for beavers to chew on?

Posted: 20 February 2008 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-14

The short answer is no, I haven’t.  I’ve been working on some other projects (my vw vanagon)  and haven’t had much time for hiking and therefore it hasn’t been in my mind. I will take it to my mom’s house this weekend and tie it with some food next to the trash cans. She been having some raccoon issues so I know they are around.

JFF