Anchorable Small Cord Lock
Posted: 02 November 2007 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-10-24

Hello,

I do not understand what an Anchorable Small Cord Lock is, or how it relates to the Grosgrain. Does anyone have any pictures of this being used in an application? I have read online that grosgrain is a ribbon. I have also read some posts here that seem to indicate that sewing it over the edge would give a channel for a drawcord (is that right?).

The reason I ask is I am working on a quilt design much like this http://home.comcast.net/~neatoman/quilt.htm and do not understand how the drawcord works and I was wondering if the “Anchorable” part of this cord lock was the answer.

Thank you for any info,
-Rick

Posted: 02 November 2007 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

The anchorable cord lock doesn’t relate to the actual drawcord channel.  The anchorable part refers to the fact that the cordlock is sewn to the item at the point where the drawcord exits the channel with a small piece (@2”) of 1/4” grosgrain.  The grosgrain passes through two slots on the hard drawcord and allows it to be sewn to the item.  This way, the drawcord moves through the cordlock tightening the item, but the cordlock itself does not move in relation to the item it is sewn to.

You could use a wider grosgrain to make a drawcord channel if you want.  Usually the 1” is folded/ironed in half to do this.  Or, you can sew a drawcord channel out of the fabric that makes up your project (this is what is usually done).

The drawcord on that quilt page works just like a stuff sack drawcord works.

Posted: 02 November 2007 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-10-24

Thank you AYCE, after sleeping on it I realized some of that, but you have clarified other questions.

-Rick

Posted: 05 November 2007 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-10-03

Not to hijack this thread, but i have been having some drawcord questions myself.
I am planning on making a quilt, which is pretty much going to be a ripoff of this one:
http://74.53.45.249/x/index.php/forums/viewthread/12/

One thing i am going to change from the above quilt is the drawcord exiting in the middle of the quilt. I think this would bug me, so i was thinking of creating a drawcord channel out of the underside fabric (silnylon) and having the drawcord anchored on one end and exit the other end of the quilt. I would have some velcro to hook the corners together.

Is there any technique to attaching the drawcord to the fabric? And does this approach sound reasonable?

Posted: 05 November 2007 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Is there any technique to attaching the drawcord to the fabric? And does this approach sound reasonable?

Yes, very reasonable.  And no problem, too.  All you have to do is sew through the drawcord and the shell, anchoring the drawcord to the shell where you want it.  The only gotcha is if you don’t secure it enough, or if the strain pulls too much on the fabric.  Or, if it’s something round (shock cord) you insert the shock cord into 1/4” flat cord (which is really tubular) beforehand and stitch it very carefully.  Then you anchor the flat cord to the casing rather than the round shock cord which is hard to deal with when it’s obscured in the casing.

Image Attachments
drawcordanchor.jpg