Why polyester thread instead of nylon?
Posted: 13 November 2007 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-10-24

Everything I have read about making a quilt suggests using polyester thread. Why not nylon? In a bit of searching the web it looks like nylon is tougher.

-Rick

Posted: 13 November 2007 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Usually people use polyester because it is more resistant to UV degradation and tends to stretch less.  If you wanted to use nylon on a quilt for which those two qualities isn’t that big a deal go ahead.  But the strength of the thread between polyester and nylon of similar sizes is not going to be significant in your quilt either.  Polyester can be used for all outdoor projects and this reduces the number of spools of thread you need to buy.

Posted: 13 November 2007 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-24

My thing is that I have a spool of nylon and would need to buy a spool of polyester. Thank you for the answer.

-Rick

Posted: 19 November 2007 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-11-19

You’ve just answered what was going to be my first question. I just got my first ever machine, a Singer 15, and I’m assembling materials for my first project.

Posted: 20 November 2007 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-24

I am wrapping up my first project, a quilt. It is great. Not perfect, far less perfect than I expected considering all of the practice sewing and design time, but it has been fun and I am stoked.

Have fun with it,
-Rick

Posted: 01 December 2007 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-11-19

My old, but newly acquired, Singer 15 machine now sits downstairs near my wife’s fairly new wimpy multi stitch type machine. Today I heard her sewing and went down to find her sewing multiple layers of leather together, just for fun of it, on my machine. I found it funny and thought I’d share the moment.