Fixing Errant Stitching/? Preventing Down Leakage
Posted: 11 December 2007 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-09-29

AYCE, etal:

Of course, it always happens when you’re almost through with a project…

While sewing a seam for the drawstring channel at the foot end of my Momentum down quilt, a small portion of material from the lower channel got caught up in the seam.  I didn’t notice it until I had already finished the seam (I thought I was being so careful) and now am concerned about whether or not it will leak down when I remove the errant stitches and/or if I leave it alone it will simply create a weak spot in the fabric that will fail over time due to the pulling of the drawstring.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Posted: 11 December 2007 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2007-09-12

You could always use little dots of seam sealer to fill the holes/strengthen the fabric.  Of course, this will look kind of ugly.

Posted: 11 December 2007 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Recent Registration
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-09-29

Thanks Finley!  That was what I was thinking re: the seam sealer for needle holes.  Aesthetics aside, this is probably the best option.

Posted: 12 December 2007 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

The seam grip will work well to seal the needle holes which won’t close up on their own.  There’ll be a line of needle perforations, but these aren’t going to cause a strength problem unless your stitch length was way too short from something like fabric slip (not likely with non-silicone fabrics).  I don’t know how long the errant stitching is, but small errors don’t really leak good high fill power clusters of down. Most down leakage is caused by sharp quills which poke through shells during compression.  I wouldn’t worry about it- sounds like a minor annoyance more than anything.  Easy to make that kind of error with multi-layer stuff.

‹‹ Draft stoppers on Quilts      Down Pants? ››