Reverse color on liner/shell on Kinsman?
Posted: 19 December 2007 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-05-15

AYCE~

I’m looking at making a 1.1 fabric Kinsman pullover (standard insulation) soon.  I remember seeing a picture on the message board some time ago of a jacket someone had made with a colored liner and black shell and I really like that look.  Is this pattern differentially cut/in need of modification to do so, or could I just order a colored shell and black liner and then switch the two?  (Black liner is standard, correct?)  Or, is the jacket pretty much fully reversible to the point where it only matters for the side that the zipper pull is on?

If this works out well I’ll probably make a summerweight half-bag to use with it for sleeping.  My last project you helped out with, an Epic/Sil bivy bag, served me very well under a tarp guiding in the Boundary Waters this summer and should do equally well in a snow cave there next month.  Thanks!

Peace from Minnesnowta.

Posted: 19 December 2007 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Hey, it’s even better than that: you could make it fully reversible by putting on a double pull #3 slider instead of the standard single pull.  If you’re going Momentum, you might consider swapping out the standard momentum-T liner for black momentum-MR or the standard black liner for any color available in the fabric you choose for the project at no extra charge.

Colored liners can look pretty sharp.

Posted: 21 December 2007 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-15

Alright…so would you throw in a double-pull slider instead of the standard single on an order?  Also, I think I’d like to add a little to the sleeve length for a medium…would this be fairly straightforward or is there not enough fabric for it included?  I’m thinking that a medium should fit just fine but I like the sleeves a little long for cold-weather biking and rowing, where coverage during reach is important.  I may choose to add thumb holes as well.  I guess I win the “picky, picky” award for the week; I appreciate your feedback with this.

Posted: 21 December 2007 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2007-05-07

Sleeve length adjustments are not a problem.  The easiest way to do this is to leave the sleeve several inches longer than the pattern instead of installing the wrist elastic.  You would then cut them to length at the end of the project and finish with lycra instead of the no-roll 1/2” elastic. Or, if you know how long you want them to be you can cut them to that length in advance and finish the cuffs per the instructions. There is always enough fabric for this kind of alteration modification.

In addition to the double pull slider you’d have to top stitch the final seam which runs from from the arm to the waist (cuff to hem).  You should practice this before attempting to do it on your pullover as it may be difficult. 

RE slider: just remind me to put in the double pull instead of a single pull.

Posted: 21 December 2007 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-15

Sweetness.  You’ll have my order soon.